Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Splinterlands: Top 3 Rares for New Players




Important Notes: 
1.Card values, power and importance change frequently day by day as players, meta and prices fluctuate. Prices change by the hour, so these reflect lowest market price as of 8/4/2021.
2. I do not give financial advice, only gameplay advice. 
3. I am still new myself, and most of my information I get from reading and listening to better players on the Splinterlands Discord
4. The cards on this list are geared for brand new players and as you play and move to rank silver, the important card list changes. 
5. If you have never played Splinterlands check out my previous post on how you can earn money while playing, and consider joining Splinterlands (it costs $10 to start).  


New players in Splinterlands start with one copy of every common and rares from the beta set, and this is more than enough to get rolling in the bronze 3 ranked play. I think some of the best commons/rares are in those free cards, but because everyone has them I am not including them in this top 3 list. Also, Epic and Legendary cards can be very expensive (although you can rent them, which is what I recommend as you move towards Silver), so that is why I stuck to Commons and Rares in the two posts. These three cards can be rented for less than one cent (>$0.05) per day
 


Furious Chicken ($15)

I would argue that this zero mana feisty looking chicken's is one of the best cards in the game (at least early on). It is free to play and fits in almost all low mana decks, and usually gives at least one free turn of protection somewhere in your line up. Saving a good range or magic character for one extra turn can easily win or lose you the battle. I also love how many places you can put the chicken to maximize different decks; sometimes I put Furious Chicken first, or last, or somewhere in the middle. It all depends on the rules of the match and the cards abilities I am using. Sadly, this chicken is no secret as the alarming $15 price tag indicates. When I first started playing I recognized it was very powerful, but was hesitant to spend the $1, and now it was skyrocketed in price, especially due to all the new players. Luckily, you can still rent one for $0.03 per day, but even rental fees are skyrocketing on this guy.  


Fire Elemental ($1.69)

With the blast ability, Fire Elemental shines in Bronze league. As long as you can protect her to get a few shots off the blast damage can really eat up opponents decks. Fire Elemental is a little low in health and can be picked off if not well defended, but the 4 speed usually means she is attacking first and if the opponent puts any low health creatures in slot 2 they melt quickly, which is especially good against the water magic decks. I found that many of my win in the first few weeks included her in my line up. Renting her will cost less than a penny a day.   



Haunted Spirit ($20.00)

When I start a match and see Haunted Spirit (which I thought was a Hippo for the longest time) I just shake my head. This card, with healing powers, often wins the game on its own. The healing ability is arguable the most overpowered ability in Bronze level games and even really excellent line ups can often just not be able to outpace a good healer like Haunted Spirit. I am personally shocked that a rare is going for $20 per card, considering there are almost 14k circulation (considering both Beta and Untamed versions). But, if you are putting $ value on a card that can win games, Haunted Spirit does that very well. The card also just keeps getting better as you find more death splinter cards to support it, so it continues to be great long past Bronze level play. Luckily you can still rent one for under a penny a day and get to win games with this guy just like everyone else.  

Unline the commons which you could pick up all three for under $5 dollars, the rares will cost you almost $37 for just these three cards, YIKES. Thank the rental market, as you can rent all three cards for less than five cents (>$0.05) per day. See if you can combo up Furious Chicken with either Fire Elemntal or Haunted Spirit, and let me know how it goes. I would love to hear what your top 3 rare cards in Splinterlands are, and which ones you have found the most success with. 

If you Join Splinterlands using my link, please leave me a comment and let me know!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...